Monday, February 10, 2020

SOME of MY FAVORITE DISCOVERIES

Genealogy is defined as the science of studying family history, according to Britannica.com. It is not a science examined under a microscope. However, a contrary argument can be made due to DNA analysis. For me, it's closer to a history lesson that might be learned in school. Dates, locations, and historical events are some of the primary components of any genealogical research project. When I initially began planting my family tree, I had no idea just how addictive this science would become or the number of hours that would be devoted to research.

You need to know where you've been... before mapping out where you're going, so for me...the most logical place to start any family tree is with yourself and work backward. During my research, I have made many discoveries about my family by working backward through documentation and an assortment of material objects.

I love finding records dating back to the 19th and early 20th centuries. Old photographs can be an excellent source for telling an ancestor's story. Still, my favorite discoveries are the physical artifacts I've found over the years. Items belonging to family members long gone, objects they may have worn or held in their hands...like an old music box or a library book never returned; a cookbook with a handwritten family recipe jotted down on the inner cover... or a high school class ring. A greeting card with a love letter tucked away inside, a locket of a loved one's hair, or the bowtie worn by a nervous groom on his wedding day. Some might think it's a collection of junk and should be tossed, but each item is as precious to me as the individuals who once owned it.

One of my favorite discoveries is my father's army dog tags and military release papers. I found them by accident a couple of months ago. I was trying to make rhyme or reason out of a couple of boxes filled with old tax returns, expired insurance vouchers, and the like when I came across an envelope in my father's handwriting. It was one of those brown envelopes that could be purchased from a stationery or office supply store. Preprinted across the top was the word... 'Valuables.' The envelope had about 10-15 lines across the front so that you could write down what was inside. In Dad's recognizable scrawl was an itemized list of items... 'birth certificate, marriage license, union dues book,' none of which were inside this tattered, old envelope, by the way 


     

What I did find, however, was my father's dog tags and discharge papers from the army. Items I never thought I would find. It was like winning the lottery for me (or at least, a scratch-off ticket). The dog tags listed Dad's serial number, next of kin, and address. A medallion identifying his religious affiliation was also attached.  





 
                                               
   
Military discharge papers from the U.S. Army were included in the envelope, too. The documents stated that he was a private... served at Camp Campbell, Kentucky, and was discharged on August 27, 1943. It was World War II when my dad was in the army. He didn't serve overseas, but he did serve honorably... something I never doubted for a minute. I've always been proud of him because of the man he was right up until the end of his life. My favorite discovery is knowing that the country he served as a soldier was proud of him, too.  
   

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Dara. I was thrilled to find Dad's dog tags and discharge papers. Now, if only I could find his birth certificate...I would be a happy camper. LOL

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, it was. I definitely did not think I would ever find those papers. Now I'm looking for the other missing docs from that tattered envelope. Wish me luck!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful find. I would have been similarly delighted. One of my favourites was a lace-making bobbin that someone purchased and sent me a photograph of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!. I love making discoveries like this!

      Delete
  4. That's an awesome find, Jeannine! Have you thought about how - or if - you might display them? I'll bet they'd look lovely in a shadow box (I would display a photocopy the discharge papers and archive the originals, though). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! Yes, I have thought about how to display it, but a bigger question is where do I display it? I'm currently working on organizing a photo album and next up will be various artifacts.

      Delete
  5. It is such an amazing experience to discover unknown photographs, documents, memorabilia on an ancestor and many a family historian can share in your pleasure and emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! I love making discoveries like this and I end up sitting and staring at these wonderful items for hours. Sometimes making up stories in my head as to how these items and pieces came to be. So much fun.

      Delete

Featured Post

WINDING THE MANTEL CLOCK...

A LITTLE BACKGROUND In the late nineteenth Century, mass migration from Italy accelerated. Chicago's foreign-born Italian population, ...