Friday, May 8, 2020

MUG SHOTS...


Two young boys wearing their Sunday best along with very serious if not guilty… expressions on their faces. The suits may look ill-fitted, but there is an excellent reason for it…

Cropped from a larger family photo taken around 1924
L-R: Dad (age 8) and Uncle Lenny (age 6)

As the story goes there was a fight between them right before this photo was taken. Lenny (on the right), had been teasing his younger sister Beth mercilessly, as older brothers tend to do at that age. Snatching her doll away from her and holding it just out of her reach.

When Beth began to cry, older brother, Rocky (on the left) came to her rescue. He grabbed the baby doll away from Lenny, and a fight ensued between the two brothers. Before the toy could be returned to its rightful owner, the two little rascals were called away for a family photo.

What did Rocky do with his sister's dolly? He shoved it under his suit coat, what else?  😉








Sepia Saturday Photo Challenge #519




20 comments:

  1. Oh - FUN! And clever. You made me start my day with a big smile! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had more stories to go with photos that make me scratch my head. Love this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! It's one of my favorite stories.

      Delete
  3. Great picture and the story reminded me of The Nutcracker and some incidents from my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely perfect match for the prompt -- and what a story! That your dad Rocky had the doll under his jacket for this memorable photo is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly! When I asked dad why he looked so bloated and he told me about the doll under his jacket...all I could do was laugh. I could see the whole thing play out and knew that I had to write this story down.

      Delete
  5. Great story...I wish I had some better explanations of some of our photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I have to admit, this was one of the better family stories that I've found.

      Delete
  6. Bravo! Sometimes a backstory makes a photo twice as good, like hearing the setup to a joke's punchline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! This story almost wrote itself

      Delete
  7. Terrific story, JMP! The stories behind the photos make us appreciate them even more. Thanks for brightening my Monday morning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Elizabeth! It was a fun story to write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was great, I have seen so many of my ancestors photos and they all look like they are in trouble. Made me smile today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This was an was and easy one for me.

      Delete
  10. Great photo story! So glad you asked your dad that (embarrassing) question! Yes, made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn’t that a great photo for the prompt and the backstory is the icing on the cake or the dolly under the coat :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

WINDING THE MANTEL CLOCK...

A LITTLE BACKGROUND In the late nineteenth Century, mass migration from Italy accelerated. Chicago's foreign-born Italian population, ...