Friday, May 15, 2020

DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL...

This is a photo from May 1949. It shows my sister, Natalie, just under two-and-a-half years old. She is with our Dad in the backyard of the old family home at the time on what was then known as DeKalb Street. 

In what appears to be a warm Spring day, Dad is wearing a t-shirt with his jacket hanging on the fence. Natalie is wearing a short-sleeved top and coordinated pants and shoes. Natalie is also wearing a mischievous grin on her little face...one that I had come to recognize and see often throughout the years. 
Natalie & Dad on DeKalb Street - May 1949



In my mind's eye, I imagine that the smile on this little one's face was an attempt to charm her way out of whatever mischief she was planning or had just accomplished. Of course, none of this was lost on my father. 

Dad knew his children well, and the love in his heart for his little girl simply jumps off the photograph, as the expression on his face proves. If I had to make a guess... I'd say Natalie's winning smile did the trick. Oh, what a character! Love and miss them both.


6 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! She does have a look on her face that says "How can ypu be mad at me?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie! She wore that look most of her adult life, too. LOL!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely photograph! Someone caught them both just at that perfect moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is one of my favorite photos.

      Delete
  3. What a charming picture indeed - captured perfectly by the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the photographer was my mother. It is a great picture for sure!

      Delete

Featured Post

WINDING THE MANTEL CLOCK...

A LITTLE BACKGROUND In the late nineteenth Century, mass migration from Italy accelerated. Chicago's foreign-born Italian population, ...