Saturday, May 2, 2020

ANCHORS AWEIGH!



Marilyn DeLio (my mom) as the first sailor on the left.


A high school play is a big deal to students, their families, friends, and school faculty members.

A senior class production is an even bigger deal when you're right up front where everyone can see your nerves play out in front of the audience.







This is a picture of my mother with several of her classmates in the 1935 McKinley High School senior class production called Tulip Time. I can't say that I am entirely clear on the connection between a chorus of these lovely young beauties all dressed up as sailors, baskets of tulips, and a windmill, but aren't they adorable? 




Sepia Saturday Photo Challenge #518 





12 comments:

  1. Great picture & good match! Quite the costumes for a high school play. I wonder where they got them all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks! I wish I would have found the photo before my mom had passed. I would have asked her about the costumes and the theme, etal!

      Delete
  2. What a great picture for you to have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I thought maybe they were doing South Pacific ha ha. I'm glad Sepia Saturday gave you a good excuse to pull out that picture for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great fun picture - for the students and the audience. It made me think of “South Pacific” as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Too bad they didn't have home movies back in 1935. That would have been a keeper, for sure. I would love to have seen the performance.

      Delete
  5. I imagine they not only stood in that position, but provided some singing, and maybe even some dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you are correct, Barbara! Oh, to be a member of the audience. What fun!!

      Delete
  6. I took one look at your mother's photo and began humming the sailors chorus from South Pacific. Now I can't get it out of my head because I don't know any Tulip Time songs! I bet they had fun dancing in those bell-bottom trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, I'm sure she had a blast at the time.

      Delete

Featured Post

WINDING THE MANTEL CLOCK...

A LITTLE BACKGROUND In the late nineteenth Century, mass migration from Italy accelerated. Chicago's foreign-born Italian population, ...