Saturday, May 23, 2020

WHO SAID DIAMONDS ARE A GIRL'S BEST FRIEND?

Mom about 1947
A pretty girl is sitting on the wheel well  of a car. She's all dressed up in a lovely outfit accessorized by a pair of spectator pumps. Was it a date night or just an ordinary old Tuesday?  

Maybe the car was new, and she was poised to individualize it like a beautiful ornament? You know, give it that little extra something to make it pop... sort of the way a diamond necklace accentuates a woman's neck and shoulders.

I may never know the answer to these questions, but I do recognize the little twinkle in my mother's eyes. It tells me that the photographer that she's gazing at is someone pretty special. I have my suspicions as to who it was, and he was indeed an exceptional guy that I came to know as Dad!  






Sepia Saturday Photo Challenge #521


10 comments:

  1. Love those DeLeo Girls....(She would have been my Aunt Josie's Lipari's Sister) and probably a Great Calabrese Cook.....One of those houses was theirs....


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. My mom was Josie's youngest sister. They lived down the block towards Polk. I'm thinking that the car my mom is sitting on is parked directly in front of Josie's house. Josie lived across the street from my grandmother.

      Delete
  2. She likes so tiny are you sure she sitting on car and not a truck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a car not a truck. My mother was very petite. She was only about 4'11" tall.

      Delete
  3. Love it - just one powerful photograph that tells a punchy romantic story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty girls sitting on cars have always made eye-catching photos. My Mom's Mom was 4'11". My Mom managed to get to 5'1". I made it to 5'7". My daughters are 5'8" and 5'9", and my granddaughters are right up there or past them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was 4'11" also. I towered over her at 5'2". LOL

      Delete
  5. Recently I came across a very similar photo of my mom posed on the hood of a car. It was just after she was married and a couple years before I was born. My dad was then serving in Korea during the war and this was sent to him with a caption, "A little chessecake?" I think I could see a twinkle in her eye too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A little cheesecake?" is such a cute caption. I'll bet that made your dad's day to get that photo.

      Delete

Featured Post

WINDING THE MANTEL CLOCK...

A LITTLE BACKGROUND In the late nineteenth Century, mass migration from Italy accelerated. Chicago's foreign-born Italian population, ...