Friday, July 17, 2020

WELL ISN'T THAT JUST PEACHY...


Just Peachy - March 1958



A perfect Sunday afternoon for a three-year-old might be playing with a new toy, wearing a new hat, or eating a favorite treat. For this little girl, it looks like she has all three!

An abject look of determination crosses the face of this adorable child (ahem, okay, it’s me). The giant spoon held perfectly in her little hand… she slowly guides it down into the tin can of heavy syrup, in search of the delicious canned peaches contained within. Here I am on a mission to scoop up the delicious fruit accompanied by the perfect amount of sticky, sweet nectar. 


Of course, one must always keep up with current fashion trends, and what better way than to have a hat made from the latest edition of the Sunday paper?

Newspaper hat couture was my dad’s specialty. No one could design a statement piece out of the classifieds better than him, and if he used the paper’s comic strip…the bright, colored ink could give the fanciest, British fascinator hat a run for its’ money!  



Hmmm, I knew Mom was a milliner by trade, but who knew that Dad dabbled in that field, too?! 
Lilly Daché¹ couldn't have done better, at least not in my mind's eye!






¹ Lilly Daché 1898-1989. A European-born American milliner and fashion designer. 

PHOTO CREDITS:

Photograph entitled 'Just Peachy - March 1958' from the author's private photo collection.
Raised Eyebrow Emoji by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY 

12 comments:

  1. What a fun post! My dad used to make us kids newspaper hats. Gosh, I hadn't thought of that in years! Thanks for bringing the memory to the fore. Really brought a smile! I like canned peaches, but have to eat them in a light or no sugar added syrup. They're still tasty, though. But peaches at their best are fresh, ripe, & juicy and right now in our local area here in California, they are that & we can't get enough of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I agree about the peaches. I can eat them all day, every day. Fresh or canned!

      Delete
  2. This photo made me smile. Love the hat...and now I have a yen for canned peaches :-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly! I definitely need to get some peaches!

      Delete
  3. Terrific photo. Such determination. I'd forgotten about newspaper hats. I now remember making and wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As soon as I found the photo, I knew I had to write about it.

      Delete
  4. When I think of Hunts, I think tomatoes. My first thought - eww eating a tomato from a can! Aaak! Glad it was a peach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet photo and story. My photo from that same time would have shown me with my hand in the cookie jar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big can o'peaches used to be a special delight. A taste of summer in any season. I remember both my mother and grandmother enjoying the smell and flavor released when they opened the can of peaches. But I never saw them wear a newspaper hat. That would have been even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! A photo of your mother and grandmother wearing newspaper hats would have been priceless!

      Delete

Featured Post

WINDING THE MANTEL CLOCK...

A LITTLE BACKGROUND In the late nineteenth Century, mass migration from Italy accelerated. Chicago's foreign-born Italian population, ...